Feb 18, 2010

Did you ever XXX with your baby?

One of my very best friends just had a baby boy three weeks ago and she's going through the new mom jitters. I check in with her almost daily and I've noticed she's started asking me some familiar questions:

"Did you ever feed the baby late because you were asleep?"  Yes. Many times.
"Did Oliver poop himself right after you cleaned him up and put a new diaper on him?  Yes. Every time.
"Did you ever feel like a crazy person when they don't stop crying?" Yes. Still do.

I told my friend to always call and ask me anything day or night.  But I promise the answer will most likely always be a yes. I am truly the last person to judge another mom.

In fact, after I hung up with her I laughed to myself remembering my questions that I wished I could discuss with a friend who'd been in the trenches.  Such as:

Did you ever bring home a naked baby from the pediatrician because you didn't know to ALWAYS bring extra clothes with you?  This is where my friend would say...Yes!

Did you ever have to run to a drug store to buy formula or milk because you left yours at home? All the time!

Did you ever run out of diapers and have to use tissue paper so you could again run to the drug store? Quite frequently!

Did you ever swear you were never having more children when your baby was 7 weeks old and it was 4:00 in the morning and they won't stop screaming? Totally! In fact, I considered giving my husband a vasectomy!

Did you ever tell a random person you're up to your ears in diarrhea and wonder why they're looking at you like you're the weirdo? Of course! Poop, pee, boogers, nothing phases me anymore!

Did you ever order your dinner in the same tone you talk to your baby with and then realized half way through you need to get out more?  Positively yes! And right after, we hired a babysitter!

All I can tell my friend is to hold on tight.
It's a wild, dirty, crazy ride, but nonetheless, the best ride in the world!

3 comments:

  1. Kids are great but they don't come with any instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is soo adorable!! im not quite a mom, but i am definitely going to forward this on to my sister! great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing is talking to first time pregnant moms. "I'll never do X!" Hahaha. I tell them, "I said I'd never let MY baby lay around in just a diaper, but after he barfed on his 5th outfit of the day, I wrapped him in a receiving blanket and let it go!" LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!
Don't be shy!

xoxo, Mama Smores