Feb 10, 2010

Home Sweet Where?

Right now, my husband and I are finding ourselves smack dab in a conversation we encounter every February.

It is not romantic. It is not sexy. It is not fun. It has absolutely nothing to do with Valentine's Day.

See, we live in Manhattan. When we moved here we were positive we would be New Yorkers for 1 year and now 6 years later we still aren't sure if we want to leave.

Understandably, we fell hard and fast for New York City when we were a freshly engaged couple. Who wouldn't? The bright lights, manic pace, sophisticated vibe...I mean, who can deny the bagels! 

But now with a toddler in tow, we question whether Manhattan is the right place to raise a child.

The Pros: We have access to the best children's facilities, parks, museums, theater and cupcakes in the country, possibly the world.

The Cons: The price, the price, the price. Oh, and the small apartments.

So then I think, okay, we'll move back to Chicago.

But is it really much better there?

The Pros: Growing up in the Midwest ups the chances of Oliver becoming a polite and empathetic child by tenfold. Owning a home. My family is there.

The Cons: The weather. The winter. Having to buy a car.  Not being able to walk everywhere and anywhere. Not having someone want to deliver me anything I want, even tampons, at 3:00 in the morning. The weather. The winter. No Zabars or Duane Reades.

We have to make a decision soon. 
Anyone have any insights on where is best to raise a family?

8 comments:

  1. I live in a suburb of Milwaukee and happen to think the midwest is a great place to raise kids. The schools are great where I live. The weather is OK I can't imagine our winter is much worse than yours (I would not trade fall in WI for anything). There are so many things I love about where I live. Being close to family is very important to me. My parents help out so much with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never, ever raise kids in NYC, but totally admire people who do. I think it's an experience unlike anything else. That said, I adore Chicago and your parents are pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you compromise and move out to Long Island?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go with your heart. It will always lead you in the right direction.
    But still, home = Family... nothing beats being close to family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a Midwest girl. Love, Love, Love New York, but if I were to raise a kid in the city, I personally would choose Boston or Chicago; for similar convenience and sophistication, but cleaner and the people are nicer. I choose to move out of the city when I couldn't handle the smell of hot pavement all.summer.long. I don't regret the decision and want to move slightly more rural. I can visit New York or Boston anytime I want, but for the day to day I need a slower more laid back pace and some fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you people...but did you not see that they have the best cupcakes in NYC????

    Just kidding, I hear you all loud and clear...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The great thing about the internet... it has made it possible to order ANYTHING online and have it delivered to your front door, including your beloved cupcakes or Cannoli's from Boson's North End (yummo)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie KaiserFebruary 11, 2010

    I'm sorry, but, have you ever had a Sweet Mandy B's cupcake???? Holy crap, best cupcakes and cakes ever. I vote Chicago, Chicago, Chicago. And, the CUBS!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!
Don't be shy!

xoxo, Mama Smores