Feb 19, 2009

Dreaming in chocolate...

While my parents were visiting last week they so nicely brought countless, classic candy bars from their hotel and gave them to Brett and I to help us bulk up our sorry stash of junk food. While this doesn't help me lose my last ten pounds of pregnancy weight, it will help me quench the pangs of a hard-core chocolate craving.

Brett was traveling last night and I felt an incredible urge to crack into some form, any form, of chocolate. And because of my parents, I had so many fun choices...Charleston Chew, Skor, Clark Bar...and that's when I saw it...Sky Bar.

I actually had never seen one before. It's by Necco...the same company that makes those god awful Necco Wafers. For all you Sky Bar novices, it is a 4-piece candy bar. And, each piece has it's own flavor...Carmel, Vanilla, Peanut and Fudge. I'm happy to report it's amazing! Now that I'm hooked, where am I going to find another! It's not like they sell them at Duane Reade!

It's very rare I sit down and actually eat a whole candy bar. Very, very rare. In fact, I don't even remember the last time I bought a candy bar. There's truly nothing out there that actually appeals to me. Anytime I buy candy, I buy the bite-size bag and stash the whole bag in my freezer because chocolate tastes best when it's ice cold. Especially a Snickers.

They do not make candy like they used to. The sugar candies used to come in beautiful tin containers, Sugar Daddy Pops took hours to finish, and Fruit Stripe Gum bursted with flavor! Remember the bubble gum cigars and gum cigarettes? First you'd puff the powder off and then you'd chew the gum. What fun we had pretending to smoke! Can you imagine kids eating those today? No chance of that happening.

I can't wait to take Oliver to the candy store. I wonder if he'll be a sugar person or a chocolate person. In the meantime, if anyone knows where to find Sky Bars, let me know. Brett's traveling next week and I have a feeling I'm going to have a craving!

Make my Thursday Thooper!
Leave me a comment and subscribe!

17 comments:

  1. My name is Debbie and I'm a chocoholic. Forgive me, Father, it's been almost 12 hours since my last confession, I mean lustful, satisfying bite of chocolate. I prefer my chocolate in cakes and chocolate chip cookies hot out of the oven. I've never really been a candy girl (sounds like a song title). Love the reminder of the bubble gum cigars! I felt like an eight-year old Greta Garbo when I "smoked" them.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WIsh I could say I don't remember the last time I ate a candy bar...(blushing...)
    I am sure you can find the candy bar on the internet somewhere...(I've never heard of them) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. How have I never had one of those?

    and 2. What hotel was this, because I am needing to stay there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O-B-V-I-O-U-S-L-Y...when your candy
    stash is depleted...it's time for your parents to visit, again... replenish YOUR stock of Sky Bars, and
    OLIVER'S order for endless
    hugs,kisses,and squeezes.

    Your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most kids like ALL sweets - sugar/chocolate, doesn't matter. I only know one little boy who doesn't like chocolate. I call my children little flies the way they carry on around candy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's SO funny... I am the same way about candy. I could never eat an entire chocolate bar, but toss a few of those mini snickers in the freezer, and I am a happy camper! They are AWESOME frozen!
    PS- Can I borrow your parents? Anyone who brings over candy is a friend in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call your parents and let them know I'm preparing my guest room. They can stay anytime as long as they pay in chocolate bars. I even have 3 kids they can rent for grandparently outtings. See, it's perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love all your comments! You all have made my day! And, you prob made my parents day!

    To Robin and Blognut- careful, my parents are so into being grandparents that they might show up at your door...with candy! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. im dreaming gummy bears... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I want to try a Sky bar! I agree Chocolate is BEST cold! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the food network doing a show on skybars and ever since I've wanted to try one--now I want to try one even more! I'm with the other commenter on frozen snicker bars--except I go for the King size instead of the minis!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had a sky bar. Now I want to try one. I love any chocolate but my favorite is anything that combines chocolate and peanut butter. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmm....those candy bars might come in handy when it's dissertation time. (although i'm partial to a skor bar myself, and all your post did was remind me of yet another forbidden food while i'm in braces. maybe i'll have a toffee party when they finally come off.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm telling you people...sky bar is the bomb. Gibby- get your braces off for a day and go have one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of a sky bar, but they sound good. Personally I'm a Reeces kind of girl - they have to be frozen though.

    Fruit stripe gum was awesome. I loved that gum and then for some reason they stopped selling it when I was about five. I haven't found it since.

    Try looking at Dylan's Candy Bar for the sky bar's. I'm sure they'll have them. While you're there go enjoy a frozen hot chocolate for me at Serendipity! I miss NYC lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can get Sky Bars at Amazon and at oldtimecandy.com

    They sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous idea!! 4 flavors in one bar? Who invented this? They should probably be up for a Nobel Peace Prize!? and we should probably start a petition to have said bars more readily available!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!
Don't be shy!

xoxo, Mama Smores